Awards and Honors for our Children's Magazines and Books
Cricket Magazine Group's family of children's magazines has received dozens of awards and honors. The sampling of awards and honors shown below speaks to the quality of our children's magazines, and of our commitment to educating and entertaining kids of all ages, from toddlers to teens.
Awards And Honors For Our Kids' Magazines
The Cricket Magazine Group has won more Parents' Choice Awards in a single year than any of our competitors!
Most Recent Awards
- 2013 Paul Witty Short Story Award from the International Reading Association
Katy Duffield for her original short story "Winds of Hope" published in CRICKET.
See past Witty Award Winners that have appeared in Cricket Magazine Group publications
- 2013 Parents' Choice Gold
- Cobblestone, Cricket, Dig, Cicada, Muse, Faces, Odyssey, Ask
- 2013 Parents' Choice Silver
- Calliope, Babybug, Spider, Ladybug, Click
- 2013 Parents' Choice Approved
- 2012 Parents' Choice Gold
- Cicada, Muse, Cricket, Ask, Dig, Cobblestone, Odyssey
- 2012 Parents' Choice Silver
- Calliope, Babybug, Click, Spider
- 2012 Parents' Choice Recommended
- Ladybug, Faces
- 2011 AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Award
- Jeanne Miller for "Skywalking for Science: Aloft in Redwood Spaceâ€ť from ODYSSEY magazine. Read the press release.
- 2011 Teachers' Choice Awards for the Family
- 2011 A+ Award from Education.com
- FACES, MUSE
- 2010 Parents' Choice Gold
2010 Parents' Choice Silver
- Click, Cricket, Ladybug, Calliope, Cobblestone
- 2010 Parents' Choice Recommended
- Spider, Faces, Ask, Cicada
- 2010 Parents' Choice Approved
- Odyssey, Dig, Babybug, Appleseeds
Fairfax County Public Schools, the 12th largest school system in the country, has adopted nine issues of CALLIOPE magazine as recommended supplemental materials for fifth grade social studies.
- 2009 Parents' Choice Gold
- Odyssey, Calliope, Ladybug, Cricket, Spider
2009 Parents' Choice Silver
- Cobblestone, Click, Ask
- 2009 Parents' Choice Recommended
- 2009 Parents' Choice Approved
- Babybug, Dig
2009 Paul A. Witty Short Story Award
- 2009 Classy Mommy Product Pick: Babybug Magazine
2009 Grandkids Gift Guide Superproduct Award: Ask Magazine
2008 Parents' Choice Gold
2008 Parents' Choice Approved
- 2008 Parents' Choice Recommended
- Calliope, Cobblestone, Faces, Ladybug, Odyssey
- 2008 Parents' Choice Silver Honor
- Ask, Babybug, Click, Dig, Muse
- 2007 Parents' Choice Gold
- Click, Spider
- 2007 Parents' Choice Silver Honor
- Cobblestone, Faces
2007 Education.com A+ award
Ed Press Golden Lamp Award for Distinguished Achievement
- Ed Press Distinguished Achievement Award for best story, cover design, graphics
- National Magazine Award Finalist-The magazine industy's highest honor
- Parent's Guide to Children's Media Award
Golden Lamp Award
The Old Schoolhouse Excellence in Education Award
- Paul A. Witty Short Story Award given by the International Reading Association
- (won by authors who have published stories in our magazines) This award has been won more times by stories published in Cricket Magazines than any other children's magazine.
Awards And Honors For Our Books
You Must Be Joking & You Must Be Joking, Two!
"Simply a collection of darn good jokes ... It would take a maudlin soul indeed to reach the last page without cracking a grin."
"Collections should make room for this one."
â€”School Library Journal
Triple-Dare to Be Scared & Double-Dare to Be Scared & Dare to Be Scared
"Although some stories are scarier than others, the author does a good job of foreshadowing the outcome while building suspense. Sure to please anyone who enjoys a good fright"
â€”School Library Journal
"Enhanced by Ouimet's macabre tableaux, these tales rate high in chill factor for any age. Warmly recommended for solitary, late-night, under-the-covers reading."
"With crisp, straightforward delivery and some intriguing endings, these thirteen tales are great fun for young readers who like to be spooked."
Cat in Numberland
"Ekeland's tale isn't just an excuse to teach math; its five lively chapters feature characters drawn with subtlety and humor."
â€”The Horn Book Guide, starred review
The Civil War Series
"The writing is engaging, and the chapters and sidebars include period photos and artwork, as well as a Civil War map and timeline."
â€”The Horn Book Guide
"A very unusual and valuable resource, combining good stories with careful ethnomusicological research."
The Robert Series
"The Robert books are instant winners."
â€”The Horn Book Magazine
Top 200 Retailers
2009 ALAâ€™s Great Web Sites for Kids